Three short answer questions and two essays are required from all applicants.
Instructions for All Essays:
- Responses should use 1.5 line spacing and a font size no smaller than 10-point.
- Do not copy the essay question in the document you upload with your application.
- Respond fully and concisely. Length requirements vary by question, and are detailed below.
- Responses must be completed before submitting your application.
- Prepare your responses carefully. The Admissions Committee considers your answers important in the selection process.
- All essays are scanned using plagiarism detection software. Expressing your ideas by using verbiage from existing sources, including other applicants’ essays or materials, without properly crediting those sources constitutes an act of plagiarism. Plagiarism is considered a cheating violation within the Honor Code and will result in an application denial. Note: if you have worked with a consultant to complete your application materials, please ensure that the honor code policy is discussed and he/she will not share your essays with other potential applicants.
Required Short Answer Questions
Instructions: Answer all 3 of the following questions. For each question, respond in 500 characters only (the equivalent of about 100 words).
- What are your short-term goals, post-MBA? [text box – 500 characters]
- What are your long-term goals? [text box – 500 characters]
- Life is full of uncertainties, and plans and circumstances can change. As a result, navigating a career requires you to be adaptable. Should the short-term goals that you provided above not materialize what alternative directions have you considered? [text box – 500 characters]
First Required Essay: 25 Random Things About Yourself
Instructions: Present your response in list form, numbered 1 to 25. Some points may be only a few words, while others may be longer. Your complete list should not exceed 2 pages, with a font size no less than 10-point. Do not copy the essay question in the document you upload with your application.
The “Team Fuqua” spirit and community is one of the things that sets The Duke MBA experience apart, and it is a concept that extends beyond the student body to include faculty, staff, and administration. When a new person joins the Admissions team, we ask that person to share with everyone in the office a list of “25 Random Things About Yourself.” As an Admissions team, we already know the new hire’s professional and academic background, so learning these “25 Random Things” helps us get to know someone’s personality, background, special talents, and more.
In this spirit, the Admissions Committee also wants to get to know you–beyond the professional and academic achievements listed in your resume and transcript. You can share with us important life experiences, your likes/dislikes, hobbies, achievements, fun facts, or anything that helps us understand what makes you who you are. Share with us your list of “25 Random Things” about YOU. [upload document]
Second Required Essay
Instructions: Your response to this essay question should be no more than 2 pages in length, with a font size no less than 10-point and 1.5 line spacing. Do not copy the essay question in the document you upload with your application.
Fuqua prides itself on cultivating a culture of engagement. Our students enjoy a wide range of student-led organizations that provide opportunities for leadership development and personal fulfillment, as well as an outlet for contributing to society. Our student-led government, clubs, centers, and events are an integral part of the student culture and are vital to providing you with a range of experiential learning and individual development experiences.
Based on your understanding of the Fuqua culture, how do you see yourself engaging in and contributing to our community, outside of the classroom? [upload document]
If you feel there are circumstances of which the admissions committee should be aware, please explain them here (e.g. unexplained gaps in work, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance). Note that you should NOT upload additional essays nor additional recommendations in this area. The Optional Essay is intended to provide the admissions committee with insight into your circumstances only.
Your response should be no more than 1 page in length, with a font size no less than 10-point. Please respond fully and concisely using 1.5 line spacing. Do not copy the essay question in the document you upload with your application. [upload document]
Candidates who applied to The Duke MBA between July 2016 and May 2017 are considered re-applicants. All re-applicants are required to complete the Re-applicant Essay in addition to the Short Answer Questions and Applicant Essays, with the exclusion of Essay 1. Re-applicants are not required to generate a new list of “25 Random Things About Yourself.” You have the option of resubmitting “25 Random Things” from your previous year’s application, or creating a new list of “25” Random Things.”
It is not uncommon for it to take more than one try to achieve a goal. Please share with us the self-reflection process that you underwent after last year’s application and how you have grown as a result. How did it shape your commitment to Fuqua and inspire your decision to reapply?
- Responses should be no more than 2 pages, using 1.5 line spacing and a font size no smaller than 10-point.
- Make sure you address any gaps in your application and that you show progress.
- You can access the re-applicant essay in the online application.
Additional open questions from the online application:
Please indicate if you are a member of or participate in any professional organizations. [text box – 250 characters]
Employment – for each job:
– Briefly describe your organization: (Please limit your response to 250 characters or less) [text box – 250 characters]
– Reason(s) for leaving: (Please limit your response to 240 characters or less). [text box – 250 characters]
List any part -time work experience or internships and please explain employment gaps. Explain Briefly. (Please Limit your response to 96 characters or less) [text box – 96 characters]
Leadership Experience and Community Involvement –
Please list, in order of importance to you, all leadership experiences and community involvement activities in which you have been active during or after your university studies. Please do not include work related activities that are a part of your job responsibilities. Indicate the nature of the activity or organization, your role/contribution to the organization, the dates of involvement & the time devoted to each. If you are currently involved in an activity, please leave the “to” date blank.
For each activity (*4), write about the Role & Contribution [text box – 400 characters]