Duke released updated essay questions and deadlines for 2013:
* Three short answer questions and two essays are required for all applicants.
* Responses should use 1.5 line spacing and a font size no smaller than 10-point.
* Responses must be completed before submitting your application.
* Prepare your responses carefully. The Admissions Committee considers your answers important in the selection process.
Required Short Answer Questions: Answer all 3 questions
Respond in 250 characters only (the equivalent of about 50 words).
1. What are your short-term goals, post-MBA?
2. What are your long-term goals?
3. Life is full of uncertainties, and plans and circumstances can change. As a result, navigating a career requires you to be adaptable. Should the short-term goals that you provided above not materialize what alternative directions have you considered?
Required Essays: Answer both essay questions
1. The “Team Fuqua” spirit and community is one of the things that sets The Duke MBA experience apart, and it is a concept that extends beyond the student body to include faculty, staff, and administration. When a new person joins the Admissions team, we ask that person to share with everyone in the office a list of “25 Random Things About Yourself.” As an Admissions team, we already know the new hire’s professional and academic background, so learning these “25 Random Things” helps us get to know someone’s personality, background, special talents, and more.
In this spirit, the Admissions Committee also wants to get to know you—beyond the professional and academic achievements listed in your resume and transcript. You can share with us important life experiences, your likes/dislikes, hobbies, achievements, fun facts, or anything that helps us understand what makes you who you are. Share with us your list of “25 Random Things” about YOU.
Please present your response in list form, numbered 1 to 25. Some points may be only a few words, while others may be longer. Your complete list should not exceed 2 pages.
2. When asked by your family, friends, and colleagues why you want to go to Duke, what do you tell them? Share the reasons that are most meaningful to you.
Your response to this essay question should be no more than 2 pages in length. Please respond fully and concisely using 1.5 line spacing.
If you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the Admissions Committee should be aware, please explain them in an optional essay (e.g. unexplained gaps in work, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, or any significant weakness in your application).
– Do NOT upload additional essays nor additional recommendations in this area of the application.
– The Optional Essay is intended to provide the Admissions Committee with insight into your extenuating circumstances only.
– Limit your response to two pages.
Candidates who applied to the Daytime MBA program between July 2011 and May 2012 are considered re-applicants. Re-applicants must complete the entire online application, including the Short Answer Questions and Applicant Essays (details in the Application Instructions section). In addition, you must also respond to the Re-Applicant Essay:
Describe how you are now a stronger candidate for admission compared to the application you submitted last year.
Responses should be no more than 2 pages, using 1.5 line spacing and a font size no smaller than 10-point.
Make sure you address any gaps in your application and that you show progress.
You can access the re-applicant essay in the online application.
Early Action – September 19, 2012
Round 1 – October 24, 2012
Round 2 – January 4, 2013
Round 3 – March 21, 2013